Skip to main content

Village History

Hartford Ohio Town Hall

Town Hall built in 1857.  Civil War Memorial commemorates the fallen soldiers from Hartford Township and those taken prisoner in war.

The Village of Hartford was platted September 20, 1824 by Ezekiel Wells and Elijah Durfey.  Durfey was the first elected justice of the peace in Hartford Township.  Some descendants of Ezekiel Wells reside in the village to this day.

Durfey was appointed Hartford's first postmaster on May 24, 1833.  Because Ohio already had a Hartford Post Office (Hartford Township, Trumbull County), our post office needed a different name. It was first called “Granby,” but later changed to “Croton” on January 25, 1843.

The town hall was built in 1857 at a cost of $600 and the second story at an additional $200.  The contractor was Edwin Buel. 

The Village was incorporated March 6, 1866.

The Town Hall was expanded in the Summer of 1895 with 12 feet to one end and 8 feet to the other end.

In its heyday, Hartford had 3 hotels and 2 dry goods stores.  With the establishment of state highways (U.S. Route 62 and State Route 3), which bypassed Hartford, the train eventually stopped carrying visitors to the village.